September 22, 2016

Mapping a Web of (Dis)Connections:Reflections on Creating a New Rhetoric Schema

In creating our outline for the schema, Michael and I first sought to find the common factors we both resonated with in New Rhetoric. We gravitated towards different aspects, and it was interesting to see how we built upon each other's concepts. This was a unique experience in that we were attempting to make the textual presentation into a visual one while also conceptualizing items we would not naturally link with other elements. Michael and I decided to create a web (or as I originally visualized it, a flat map that spread indefinitely on a digital plane) linking key components of New Rhetoric to each other in order to discover connections. To me, the lack of certain connections I thought were evident was the most striking aspect of this.

Because both Perelman and Dearin link New Rhetoric's concepts with Kant, I felt it was necessary to include him in our schema. Dearin points out that, in opposition of the positivists, Kant sparked the ideas that Bergson would build upon which, in turn, helped form the foundation of New Rhetoric (353). However, when Perelman mentions Kant, he uses him as an antithesis. Kant proved difficult to meaningfully place in our schema because of this, though, philosophically, I believe he is an important factor in New Rhetoric's formulation. The same problem arose when we linked Aristotle to the schema, as well. Also foundational, his philosophy is difficult to contextualize among the tenants of New Rhetoric as there is so huge a gap caused by over 2,000 years of thought. I envisioned Aristotle appearing more dominate and creating more of a presence in the big picture of the schema both because of his domain and because Perelman cites him so often, but he only represented a few connections once we were done mapping our concepts out. Some of this is a reflection of the flat-mapping our schema takes the form of, yet in creating a conceptualization of New Rhetoric, I now realize how small the Aristocratic base is in the big picture. I am afraid I have to respectfully disagree with Amanda's point about New Rhetoric being deceptively named-- to me, at least, the divide between Aristotle and Perelman and Olbrechts-Tyteca's framework is made even larger after this exercise. This, too, makes Condit's call for a “newer course for a “[N]ew [R]hetoric” seem like a more likely and reasonable evolution (97).

As our schema came together and more connections were fleshed out, I noticed myself focusing on the “Evolution” section we created to consider how New Rhetoric transformed rhetoric and philosophy. Of course, Condit was at the center of this focus. Her note that Perelman is “an interesting relic of an earlier time” and “reeks of forms of elitist and sexist discourse” struck a chord, and that thought dominated the majority of that area of our schema more so than I originally imagined (96). Condit voiced several of my concerns with New Rhetoric, but I have the advantage of looking back from almost six decades after it was initially presented and viewing it through the eyes of a modern scholar. Still, the social implications that Condit discusses resonate strongly. One of the most alluring aspects of Perelman and Olbrechts-Tyteca's framework is the appeal of widening the audience of philosophy and rhetoric—Michael and I made this a large aspect of our schema—but the gender and social biases Condit discusses made this area of our mapping feel disconnected from what Perelman originally claims the intent was. I think this was reflected in our final draft, as well. When Condit notes that Perelman probably specifically framed New Rhetoric to not include “the common people” and his original approach to audience was more than just a relic of his time (98), the original disconnect I felt became more evident.  

No comments:

Post a Comment